[lug] Re: How Home Backups Should Be Done(tm)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 22 10:48:24 MDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:58:25AM -0600, LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu wrote:
>needs to be backed up.  I don't back up any program files, because
>I have to re-install them anyhow (good ol' Winblows).

With Linux you don't *HAVE* to re-install the software.  You can simply
recover a backup onto newly-created partitions, rerun lilo, and reboot
and it'll come back up good as new.  Works great when upgrading a
harddrive.

However, I've found that often when it's time to do a recovery there's
probably a new Linux you want to try out anyway.

Just make sure you get those config files, back up /home, and party on.  ;-)

Sean
--
 "The great thing about Meat Loaf is he's his own special effect." -- J.S.