[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 24 13:49:42 MDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 12:37:59PM -0600, Justin wrote:
>You can get your ip either way. Usually going with the circuit provider (Qwest
>in your case) is the cheapest. ISP's are "generally" more expensive because

QWest Communications (the circuit provider) will *NOT* provide you with
IP or IP addresses.  You can ask QWest.net (the ISP) to provide you with
static IPs, I believe they charge $15 for every 5 usable addresses.  One of
the reasons we switched to FRII (from US West.net, they were the only
provider I knew of when we got DSL in the first month it was offered)
was that IPs were significantly cheaper -- USWest was going to be charging
us around $50 for just the IPs we currently had.

The QWest Comm only provides the ATM between your place and your ISP.
You can think of it like Frame Relay.  You *CAN* encapsulate IP on top
of the circuit, but just getting one end of a frame line doesn't give
you access to the net.  It's like a dedicated modem line between your
house and your ISP...

>circuit, ISP fee's, and the block of ip's. All provided thru USwest and it all

Not technicly true.  The line is provided by QWest Communications, the
ISP is provided by QWest.net.  They're seperate entities, they just
bill you together.  This is partly because QWest Communications is
regulated by the government, and QWest.net is not.

Sean
--
 Follow the dream, not the competition.
                 -- Nemesis Racing Team