[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 24 16:31:35 MDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 04:21:51PM -0600, Duke Smith wrote:
>I respectfully disagree: the ISP's do have a choice, they could act
>in good conscience. They do have a choice not to gouge people
>with multi-thousand percent markups. A smack dealer in New York

Multi-thousand percent markups?!?  You obviously have a very different
view of ISPs than I do.  The ISP market is a commodity market, I can't
think of anything an ISP does that has even a single 10x markup.  ISPs
don't get IPs for free, and when you add the management of the IP
network on top of that I would be suprised if there were even a 2x
markup in IPs most providers offer.  With allocation, management,
routing, reverse DNS, it's hardly free.

$5/month for a static IP or $15/month for a block of 8 I don't see as
being that unreasonable.  My problem with USWest was that they would
only sell blocks of 8, which meant for 12 addresses I had to get 3
blocks (5 usable per block).

Sean
--
 The geek shall inherit the earth.