[lug] transparent image background

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Fri Aug 25 08:19:17 MDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:25:31AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> Can anyone tell me, is there a way with Gimp, or some other linux
> package, to take an image that has a pure black background, and
> something like a logo on it, and make that pure black background a
> transparency that won't block out web page backgrounds that it sits
> over? What file format would I use?

PNG format will do what you're wanting it to do, but will do so in a limited
fashion. This is due to the fact that older browsers don't support it entirely
correctly. However, I've always found the support to be acceptable, if not
perfect, going as far back as IE4 and NS4.

BTW, the legal issues you mentioned are due to patent restrictions which will
be gone sometime in 2003.

-----
Michael J. Pedersen
Get GnuPG at http://www.gnupg.org
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
My GnuPG Public Key Available At: http://www.keyserver.net