[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Jim Romary jromary at kane.jsouth.com
Fri Aug 25 08:58:04 MDT 2000

I think there is some confusion between address space and name space.
Registering domains has nothing to do with the acquisition of address
space. No individual may go to a regional IP registry (ARIN in our
case, used to be NetSol) to obtain addresses. A long time ago this
was possible, and indeed, encouraged. One result of the allocation
of /24 addresses to individuals was the fracturing of network
address space that became impossible to aggregate for CIDR purposes.
These legacy addresses are part of "The Swamp". Providers must pay
regional registries fees to obtain addresses for their customers, and
need to SWIP assigned and allocated addresses in order to obtain new
blocks. There is nothing untoward in in charging for addresses.

Domains have nothing to do with IP address acquisition. They never
have. One may populate a domain with legacy or new Resource Records
that use IP addresses, and one may announce routes for IP address
space space to go to the machines referenced by the RR, but there
is not the slightest logical or physical correspondance between IP
addresses and domains. A domain may contain RR that point to IP
addresses all over the world.

There is no "usual charge" of $35/yr for addresses. Domains, perhaps,
but this only if one uses NetSol as the registrar. Other registrars
charge less than $35/yr for _domain_ registration. None of the domain
registries assign or allocate address space.