[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Duke Smith duke at firstworld.net
Fri Aug 25 11:00:27 MDT 2000

Please do not further intentionally misrepresent what I have said
clearly and unambiguously in earlier postings, sir. As stated earlier,
I acquired a domain name and its legally connected class-C block of
IP@'s roughly five years ago, and at that time they were part of an
ISP arrangement. I have since changed ISP's several times, and have
untaken to manage my ISP/domain name registration with registrars
who are not (my) ISP(s). For several years, I paid $25 / yr for this
registration service through Network Solutions. As I became
increasingly dissatisfied with their (absence of) service, I followed
a lead posted to this list several months ago and changed my
registrar to register.com, with whom I am so far quite satisfied.

Consider yourself enlightend, now, regarding "where is it you can
get a /24 block for $35 per year". Also, it is true, I did not
in fact preced my message with "back in the good old days ... 7 or 8
years ago", simply because this would have been untrue. I first
acquired this domain name and its associated domain (the "/24 block"
to which you refer) no earlier than late '95, and actually more like early
'96, making it barely half as "old" albeit just as "good" as the 7-8 years
you claim.

The comments I have seen from you and others are remarkable
primarily by the absence of any reference to known or personally
experienced prices which might serve to objectively and quantitatively
counter simple arithmetic based on numbers cited by posters to this
list and compared with numbers from my own experience. Further,
it is poor science, argument, or arithmetic to claim to refute a calculation
correctly arriving at a number of 576,000%, by saying that you wonder
where I get the lower price. Please bear in mind that this information
was clearly conveyed in earlier postings which you have chosen to
ignore, for reason obscure since unstated. To avoid being susceptible
to the same criticism, let me state unequivocally: I have made these
statements because they are true.

As regards this fantasy that there is no relation between domain names
and domains, of what else could an IP domain possibly consist, but
IP addresses, and to what else could an Internat domain name possibly
refer, but an Internet domain?