[lug] Debian CD install problem

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Fri Aug 25 12:52:38 MDT 2000

Hi

I am trying to install Debian 2.1 to a dual-processor
Pentium 2 Dell box which has two hard drives at SCSI
ids 0 and 1 and an NEC CD-ROM DRIVE : 464 CdRom Device
at SCSI id 5.  The drive at 0 has Win2k and I'm
trying to install to the drive at 1.

The box boots from the Debian CD and enables me
to partition and initialize the hard drive.  Then
the installation program (and I) would like to
"Install Operating System Kernel and Modules".
For medium I choose cdrom, and for CD interface
I am given the single SCSI choice "/dev/sdc0 : SCSI".
I choose it, I'm told to insert the CD, which of
course is already in, and then I am told the
mount failed.

Going to the execute the shell prompt option, I
find that /dev/sdc0 does not exist and dmesg
alerts me to

kmod: failed to exec -s -k block-major-3, errno=2

many times.

I have no idea what is going on.  Help, please!!!

Thanks
Glenn