[lug] Debian CD install problem

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Fri Aug 25 13:26:18 MDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

> This should work, I would think. Which SCSI card do you have powering this
> setup, and does 2.1 include support for it?

Thanks for the quick reply.  I should have mentioned the SCSI card:
Adaptec AIC-7800 Ultra/Ultra with BIOS v1.26s6 Dell 06s6

I have no idea how to tell if 2.1 includes support for it.  Since
it's at least three years old, I thought it would.

I should probably order 2.2 from somebody, CheapBytes?  Is there
any way to download images of the Debian CD's from somewhere?  I've
only seen packages.

> > kmod: failed to exec -s -k block-major-3, errno=2
>
> This leads me to believe that a necessary module is not being loaded, which is
> why things are failing for you. Since I know that block-major indicates it
> trying to get the drive itself going (not even to the point of reading what
> the drive has, just trying to access it), I would recommend checking to make
> sure that your SCSI card module is loaded by then. Without it, I don't expect
> it to work.

I don't either, if that's the problem.  The 2.1 CD I have is a publisher's
version which may be incomplete.

Thanks,
GM