[lug] Debian CD install problem

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Aug 25 15:12:52 MDT 2000

Glenn Murray wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
> > Glenn Murray wrote:
> > > I am given the single SCSI choice "/dev/sdc0 : SCSI".
> >
> > Try /dev/scd0 instead of sdc0.
> >

> Thanks for the quick reply.  I mis-typed the line above: I
> actually am given the single SCSI choice "/dev/scd0 : SCSI",
> and the device file exists.  However, the
> installation program still cannot mount the CD and I'm stuck.
> The boot help suggests an aicxxx=no_reset flag (or something
> similar) but that doesn't help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Glenn

Since it was just a typo in the email, it does sound like the other
replies are on track. Probably the module fails to load. But that could
be for a number of reasons. Are you positive that the controller itself
is being set up correctly? Also, it was mentioned that there is a new
version of Debian now out. I often find that scsi support is one of
those things that improves with each new version. The aic7xxx has in the
past been very reliable for me, including one cdrom that is scsi. But
with all the changes in aic7xxx (what are actually improvements I
think), it would be worth going straight to the newest version of Debian
and trying again. There might be some difference in what works or
doesn't depending on if it is an integrated scsi controller, part of the
m/b, or offboard pci slot...bios setup issues could have a minor part in
it if it is offboard.