[Re: [[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]]

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 26 11:12:24 MDT 2000

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 08:41:13AM -0600, Justin wrote:
>"line" in to your house/apt/dwelling or whatever. Maybe I should have said you
>can make one phone call (atleast in my case) to Qwest comm. and they will
>pretty much take care of the whole thing, including the ISP setup. The only

Yeah, for a while in fact there were stories about the folks at USWest
Comm trying to steer users towards USWest.net.  I remember that they
kind of assumed we'd be using USWest.net, but we didn't have any problems
switching when we did a few months later.

US West.net can be nice because it removes some level of confusion where
sometimes there will be some finger-pointing (oh, you need to call your
ISP about this problem.  They said to call us?).  Not that it completely
removes that.  One time a few months ago a client that's using USWest.net
DSL was down.  We called their tech support and after over an hour
of working with them I said "The radio is reporting that there was a
US West comm fiber cut, could that be affecting this"?  The tech knew
nothing about it.  Turns out most of the phones in town and all the
USWest.net DSL was out.  Other providers weren't affected, because it
apparently took out a long-haul line which meant the authentication
server.

I prefer to support the local ISP alternatives, especially when the
alternative is to give more money to a company a messed up as US West.

Sean
--
 A little help at the right time is better than a lot of help at the wrong
 time.