[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sat Aug 26 12:56:42 MDT 2000

Duke Smith <duke at firstworld.net> writes:

> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>
> > Short form: It seems Duke is admitting that people wanting IPs today can't
> > get them for $35, as he implied earlier, and that the numbers he based
> > his calculation of gorging by ISPs for IP addresses.
>
> 1) This isn't even a sentence.

As much as I hate to join a good flamewar, this is just too tempting
on a Saturday morning with little better to do. (Yes, I'm stalling.)

(S (INT "Short Form:") (NP "It")
   (VP (V "seems")
    (COMP "that"
      (NP "Duke")
      (VP "is admitting"
        (COMP "that"
          (NP
            (N "people")
            (ADJP
              (ADJ "wanting")
              (N "IPs")
              (ADJ "today")))
	  (VP "can't get"
            (NP "them")
            (ADVP
              (ADV "for")
              (NP (N "$35")))
            (COMP "as"
               (NP "he")
               (VP "implied")
               (ADVP
                 (ADV "earlier"))))
	(COMP "and that"
	  (NP
            (DET "the")
            (N "numbers")
            (ADJP
               (ADJ "on which")
               (NP (N "he"))
               (VP "based"
                  (NP (N "his calculations of gorging by ISPs for IP addresses")))))
          (VP (*))))))))

It seems the last clause lacks a verb phrase, but it's fairly easy to
fill in that blank.  I may have parsed something wrong, but I believe
I got the significant structures right.

> 2) I neither said nor implied (you inferred) anything of the kind

I haven't followed the thread, so I won't bother to say whether I
think every claim in this sentence is accurate, but I did notice that
the main verb in the sentence is "seems".  Whether anything "seems" or
not can really be a matter of opinion, unless someone would like to
argue epistemology with me, which might make for a good Sunday morning
post in itself.

This waste of time has been brought to you by me (a linguistics and
linux geek) the letter 'G', and the number '7'.  Thank you.

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com