[[lug] DSL, static IPs and the hunt for red october.]

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Aug 26 16:33:24 MDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 04:21:51PM -0600, Duke Smith wrote:
> I respectfully disagree: the ISP's do have a choice, they could act
> in good conscience. They do have a choice not to gouge people
> with multi-thousand percent markups. A smack dealer in New York
> wouldn't live a week if [s]he tried a stunt like that.

Could you be more specific?

Most ISP's are not "gouging" ... have you seen the real numbers on what
it takes to do high-quality connectivity for an ISP these days?

Telco charges for DS-3's/OC-3's, ISP Charges from backbone carriers, the
cost of decent routing gear (seen how much a Cisco 6509 or 7206VXR
costs?), costs of the assorted servers to support services (well, Linux
helps a TON on this part... GRIN), someone to cable it all up, connect
it all... you get the idea.

Explain which service you're paying for that costs as much as that smack
you're smokin', and we'll talk!  :)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>