[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Sat Aug 26 23:28:02 MDT 2000

Ok, now here's where I really get confused. Mostly due to lack of
experience, and adequate time off :} Or at least that's what I'd like to
believe.

This is attempt #3 at DNS this year.

This week I will obtain 5 working IP@'s from, yes, an ISP. :}

Obviously they will need some RR's to go with it. I opted to go through my
(other) ISP to register a name and decided it's time for me to start
learning the I/O's of DNS.

What is the least I have to have for BIND to happen? I need resolv.conf to
point to search my domain?? And nameserver entry in that file should be my
ns.newname.com.

Then next is named.conf:

zone "my.newname.com"{
	type "master";
	file "the_zone_file"
};

Then the zone file:

@	IN	SOA	ns.newname.com	hostmaster.newname.com(
		serial
		refresh
		retry
		expire
		ttl)

	IN	NS	ns.newname.com
?	IN	PTR	my.newname.com

I have the 127.0.0.* set up in the same format, respectively.

And restart named.

nslookup my.newname.com and nslookup localhost both return generic server
not found errors.

What gives??? I've been struggling with this. I wanna try to have it on
air by the end of the week. But I obviousl don't wanna disrupt the peace.

TIA again,

John