[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Aug 27 11:40:06 MDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 12:38:03PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
>Ok, for clarification on my end. If I owned 0/255 then I can handle it all
>on my end? But I will need their reverse since they actually own the

If you have a /24 you can directly get delegation for the reverse on
that block of IPs.  If you have a smaller block you'll have to get your
ISP to set up some pointers saying "Go over here if you want to resolve
these IPs".  For example:

   guin:jafo$ host 216.17.150.2
   2.150.17.216.IN-ADDR.ARPA is a nickname for 2.tummy.150.17.216.IN-ADDR.ARPA
   2.tummy.150.17.216.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer cantsleep.linsomniac.com
   guin:jafo$

Our up-stream has set it up so that requests for reverse on our block get
mapped to the "fake" domain "tummy.150.17.216.in-addr.arpa", which they
actually pull from our DNS server.

So, you can end up handling all your DNS needs, effectively.  However,
you have to have an ISP that will cooperate with this.  These days that
should be most of them.

Sean
--
 It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.
                 -- Rene Descartes