[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Aug 27 21:40:34 MDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:24:19PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
>Great info here thanks. I've been waiting for NetworksSolutions to show
>record of advancecreations.com (as specified by my last registrar). I did

Why are you waiting for Network Solutions to show a record of it?  They're
just another registrar these days (though they're probably still the largest
because of the huge head start they got).  You probably mean (or SHOULD mean
;-) that you're waiting for the InterNIC to show the registration.
It seems to be showing up for me...

>the whois at intenic and it showed that the whois is at opensrs. Will
>network solutions get the whois also or is it just opensrs?

If you want the registration to show up at NSI, you'll have to pay NSI
to move it there (typicly the cost of another domain-year).  Since you
registered it through an RSP that uses OpenSRS, it'll show up at
OpenSRS...  OpenSRS and NSI are at the same level now -- effectively
they're interchangable (except that OpenSRS is better ;-)

>I went in at openscs and changed the DNS to my IP at . Does this mean that
>now I will be queried for addys?? I don't have the domain set up on my

It'll usually take about a day before the change gets propogated to
the InterNIC.  Then people will start querying your server.

Sean
--
 Laugh while you can, monkey boy!
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_