[lug] Max mail queue size

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Aug 26 21:24:49 MDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Sean Reifschneider was reputed to have said:

SR >On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:01:18PM -0500, John Karns wrote:
SR >>For the first time, I received a msg that the mail had bounced due to an
SR >>overflow of my mail box.  I believe that this was generated by my linux
SR >>system while fetching mail from my ISP.  I am using sendmail version 8.9.3
SR >
SR >The message you indicate is not a sendmail message.  Typicly the way such
SR >a quota is implemented is with quotas (oddly enough ;-).  If you aren't
SR >using them on your local machine, that's probably not where it's getting
SR >generated.  Try looking at the man page for "repquota".
SR >
SR >Check to make sure you don't have "leave on server" set.  If you can,
SR >check your POP account or mail box.  Try telneting to the mail server
SR >on port 110 and do "user <username>" and "pass <password>" and "list".
SR >If a bunch of stuff shows up, you have "leave on server" configured.

Thanx for the reply, Sean.  Strangely enough, I don't have quotas enabled
on this system.  A check of /usr/src/linux/.config verifies that quotas
are not enabled in my kernel.  A telnet to my POP server yields:

+OK col1.telecom.com.co POP3 server (Post.Office v3.5.3 release 223 with
ZPOP version 1.0 ID# 0-53737U25000L25000S0V35) ready Sat, 26 Aug 2000
21:27:08 -0500
user myID
pass myPass
+OK Maildrop has 0 messages (0 octets)

This is in accordance with the fact that I'm not specifying the 'keep'
option in fetchmail.

So that doesn't seem to be it either.  The odd thing is that the from
address on the bounce notification msg was my local machine.  When I
received the msg, I had msgs hanging around in my incoming spool file, and
I checked the size of the file.  It correlated very closely with the file
size mentioned in the bounce msg.  Thus it would appear that it was
generated on my local machine.

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net
Systems Analyst/Integrator
Bogota, Colombia                                  Voice: 57-1-341-0300