[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Mon Aug 28 11:29:29 MDT 2000

> You don't need a ns.* zone set up.  Again, other machines will know
> the DNS server is on your machine because you will have changed the
> whois record so that it lists your DNS server as one of the ones
> associated with the domain.

Yea, I get this part. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it. What I meant
was: if I name the machine new.advancecreations.com then how would any
machine know it ns.advancecreations.com? I guess since the whios points to
my machine it looks for a service named ns.advancereations.com not an
actual machine?? Or is the machine just aliased as and the service takes
care of the rest?

Since I sent this, I changed the DNS entry on my iMac to the machine,
which isn't directly connected yet via ethernet. I had to colocate til DSl
is set up. But I did have to use the IP@ for obvious reasons. Anyway. I
took some time to experiment and try to get a grasp on how this all works.
And it does work.

Thanks for the help. It's just hard to get the grasp on it when you have
to wait a couple dys to see your work, and for a newbie its a little
worrysome since I can break the world with it :}

John