[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Aug 28 11:37:21 MDT 2000

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 01:29:29PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
>Yea, I get this part. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it. What I meant
>was: if I name the machine new.advancecreations.com then how would any
>machine know it ns.advancecreations.com? I guess since the whios points to

The InterNIC stores the name and address of DNS servers.  You create what's
called a "host record" at the InterNIC which says "ns.advancecreations.com"
is at IP address <whatever>.  This must be managed separately from the
regular DNS records.

Sean
--
 Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.