[lug] gcc/g++ solaris differences from linux

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Aug 28 20:43:34 MDT 2000

Another semester has arrived, and a class which requires me to use gcc
on Solaris.  I've used the GNU development tools quite a bit under
Linux, on an intel architecture, but haven't done cross-compiling or
compiling natively on a non-x86 architecture.

I'd like to know, from the other developers out here who have
experience with the Solaris platform, what can I expect to be
different with Solaris?  I won't be using signals, or really much of
anything besides simpe filehandles and pointers, (the class is Data
Structures, bleah, been there, done that) so I'm mainly concerned with
simpler nitpicky issues.

I'm mostly just looking for heads-up things, so I can avoid the "Well,
it works fine on *my* machine," problem that can take hours to find.

Both the Solaris machines at the university and my laptop are running
gcc 2.95.2.  My laptop is a Debian Potato.

Thanks a bunch!

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com