[lug] DNS and a thanks for the DSL info.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 29 00:16:50 MDT 2000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 07:24:19PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
> Great info here thanks. I've been waiting for NetworksSolutions to show
> record of advancecreations.com (as specified by my last registrar). I did
> the whois at intenic and it showed that the whois is at opensrs. Will
> network solutions get the whois also or is it just opensrs?

Depending on the tidal flow and location of the moon (heh...) whois can
lag by as much as two weeks behind the actual root server entries.

Due to recent changes in the root server structure, the best bet is to
use the "dig" command and check the root servers for information on what
your current NS records for your zone show.

nate at voyager:~$ dig @a.root-servers.net natetech.com

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @a.root-servers.net natetech.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	natetech.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
natetech.com.		2D IN NS	NS1.INFLOW.NET.
natetech.com.		2D IN NS	NS2.INFLOW.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
NS1.INFLOW.NET.		2D IN A		209.119.36.3
NS2.INFLOW.NET.		2D IN A		208.169.16.115

;; Total query time: 431 msec
;; FROM: voyager to SERVER: a.root-servers.net  198.41.0.4
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 29 00:16:26 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 108

As you can see, I have my domain records on the nameservers at work...

Actually, the records are here at home and I set up a master/slave
relationship to the servers at work, then I only listed those servers as
authoritative at NSI.

(And for those who go a-digging, nope... never got eni.net
(powerinter.net) / Rhythms to get my reverses right.  Oh well.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>