[lug] Caldera Install.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 29 12:45:23 MDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 12:36:07PM -0600, Carl.Wagner at Level3.com wrote:
>I have a stock RH 6.2 box and want to upgrade to KRUD 6.2+ 20000704.  What
>is the best way to do this?

The way I usually do it is to boot from the new KRUD and select the
"upgrade" option.  Of course, you should always do a backup before
upgrading your system.

>I assume if you start with a stock RH 6.0 you go into the various dirs under
>updates (lowest numerically to highest, then the redhat-6.2-krud-6.2 dir)
>and do a rpm -Uvh *.  But how do you do it if you start with 6.2?

Actually, you would usually want to do a "freshen" instead of an "upgrade".
"-F" says "only upgrade a package if I already have a version of it installed".
The update from the install disc will handle things like changing the kernel
as well though.  If doing the kernels manually, you don't want to "upgrade"
the kernel RPMs, you want to install the new version so you have the old and
new versions.

Sean
--
 The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
 reason for existing.  -- Albert Einstein