KRUD/Redhat Updates (was: Re: [lug] Caldera Install.)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 29 12:53:54 MDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:38:23PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>Speaking of which, I have what may amount to a dumb question:  can I do
>updates from the monthly CD's over my existing installation without
>affecting my config files?  I can back the config files up and reinstall

Usually, if there is a modified config file associated with a package that
needs to be updated, and that update loads a new config file, the old config
file will be saved as "whatever.rpmnew" I believe.  The update process should
leave a status file in /tmp, which you should review -- I believe the messages
about config files that were handled in this way are written there.

Tkil was recently bitten by an update that installed a new sendmail
and therefore installed a new sendmail.cf, which caused his mail setup
to be cranky until he tracked it down.

While we usually do a test upgrade as well as install every month for KRUD,
on my laptop I usually just do a freshen for that month's list of
packages (in that month's "new" directory) so I don't have to reboot.

Sean
--
 Problem with Closed Source Software #101: "We have found 46 ways to
 remotely crash NT by sending authentication packets."