[lug] SCIOCTL: network not available

Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Wed Aug 30 19:33:47 MDT 2000

OK, I've been fighting with an old PC and several distributions of Linux.
This is an old loaner PC that I have for my office until I can get a new
PC ordered, and the BIOS doesn't have a boot form CDROM option.

So far, I've had the best luck getting Debian 2.2 (Potato) to load the
base installation from floppies, but am not having any luck getting
the network services running.

This system has an old 3c509B NIC, and the module appears to load OK.
However, when I try starting network services I get:

   SCIOCTL:  network not available

This looks to me like a kernel level flag or variable.  Is this
true?  Any suggestions?  When the system boots the log screen does report
that the device exists, gives what looks to be a reasonable IRQ, shows the
physical device address, and says that it is set to 10baseT (wich should
be correct).  This is also after setting up the hostname, domain name, IP
address, net mask, gateway, and DNS entries.

Any ideas ...?

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)