[lug] Redundant net links

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Thu Aug 31 10:34:14 MDT 2000

We server a couple of sites in-house and I have a question about
redundant networking to these boxes. One site requires fairly high
availability. I have a backup server that I can switch over to manually
in seconds. The problem I have is our link to the net through Rocky
Mountain Internet sucks. It doesn't go down as much as it used to but it
still goes down way more than I can afford. We also have another link
through Verio.

What I'm looking for is an automated way for the box to use both links.
If Rocky Mountain is out it would automatically start using Verio. I
have to think this is possible but I don't know how it is done. Our
network guy says we would have to assign another IP to the site and give
people that new IP. So they would call in and we would tell them to type
in this IP. That just isn't acceptable and I know it is not the way to
do it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
--

----
Kyle Moore