[lug] Redundant net links

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 31 11:31:35 MDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:34:14AM -0600, Kyle Moore wrote:
>people that new IP. So they would call in and we would tell them to type
>in this IP. That just isn't acceptable and I know it is not the way to

As I understand it, for you to be able to do what you want you need:

   To get an Autonamous System Number (ASN).
   Get a /20 block of IPs (apparently many large providers drop route
         advertisements for anything under a /20).
   Set up BGP4 (which may require you to have a fairly hefty router, I
         think you'll need something with at least 128MB of RAM).
   Sign up with both your up-streams for BGP4 service.

or:

   Co-locate your box a somone's facility that does the above.

If you want to do it on the cheap, you can set your DNS propogation settings
to be rather low, and then if you're having a problem with one line, modify
DNS to hit the second one.

Sean
--
 George Washington was first in war, first in peace -- and first to
 have his birthday juggled to make a long weekend.