[lug] Cisco 675 Config.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 2 12:51:02 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:21:08PM -0400, John Starkey wrote:
>step. BUT if there is a way to avoid this and do it withouth a GUI (or
>other) I'd prefer that.

I'd be shocked if they sent you a 675 that didn't have the firmware
on it.  You can probably skip that step.  If you can't, you're hosed,
Cisco doesn't offer those files for anonymous FTP or anything that I
could find -- we needed to upgrade our 675 last week and the files
were nowhere to be found on the Cisco site.  Indra had the 2.2.0
version on ftp.indra.net:/cisco

>Is this the serial-to-eth cable? Or can I just connect from a spare
>ethx or better yet the hub into the management connection??

The management cable is the serial cable.  You may be able to connect
via ethernet, I don't know what IP that would be at though.  Maybe you'd
get lucky and it would be configured for dhcp -- try starting DHCP
and see if you get assigned an address by the Cisco.

>what I'm doing here (obviously). But will the light be steady even if I'm
>not set up going into the router? Meaning the light only indicates that
>the router is talking DSL. I don't have to config it to know when DSL is

The light will be up when the WAN link is connected.  This means that
if you don't have the right PPP information in there it will blink,
or if your phone line is dead.  Those sorts of things.

>So do I need to use ppp0 (I've only used PPP (that I know of) for
>dial-up). When using Cable modem is it also considered a

The 675 does PPP over ATM to speak to your DSL provider.  PPP is also
used for T1 connections and the like -- it's more than just a dial-up
modem protocol.

>Done. And minicom is open but pointing to my internal modem (not the
>router). not sure where to point it: eth0 or a serial port. (see above).

The other serial port.

>Yea, I bought/leased? a block of 8, but have no clue how I'll find out
>what they are. I assume the actual IP@ wont be guaranteed until the
>service is up, so I haven't bothered to ask.

If your ISP hasn't activated the service and given you your PPP
login/password, there's not much you can do except call them and
ask them to get moving on it.

Sean
--
 His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like
 underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.