[lug] Crash during shutdown

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Aug 30 19:41:30 MDT 2000

Giuliano Rescaldani wrote:

> Hello,
>         on my fresly installed Red Hat 6.2, eveything works fine. When I shutdown
> the box, all the procrsses are brought down correctly but at the very last
> steps, just after the "power down" message, it crashes.
>
>         I think this happens because the OS tries to switch off the PC but fails
> there. The APM is completely disabled at bios level and the AMPD deamon is
> not started. (I would like the OS doesn't try at all to manage power).

There is a kernel compile option for APM, probably be sure it isn't
available in the kernel. There is in /etc/rc.d/init.d a script for start
and stop of several services, of which apmd is one. Although I don't
suggest removing this script or the sym links at various run levels to
this script (my system has these but doesn't run apmd), probably reading
the script would give you an idea of where in the system the actual
config is found to decide if apm should or should not be disabled.
Somewhere you might have a file that contains something similar to
"apmd=1" (just a sample, don't know if this really exists).