[lug] DSL Question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 4 12:53:42 MDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:01:40AM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>I have ppp, but prefer bridged.  With bridged, I set up one of my
>own boxes as the first thing on the network, thus my own

Hmm?  With bridged mode you still have to have one IP set aside as
your default gateway -- it's just the router at your ISP's end instead
of the one at your end.

>> My ISP allows either PPP or Bridging mode for the DSL
>> connection...Are there any benefits to one mode over the other?  Any
>> drawbacks?

Routed mode allows you to run multiple IP networks on your local segment
(to define aliased interfaces on the DSL router).  I just had to switch
from bridged to routed on my home network because I needed to get another
IP block.  That line was set up a LONG time ago, and bridging was the only
mode supported then.

Also, with routed you will be able to use the web-based management stuff
and telnet to your router -- in bridged mode you don't have an IP on the
router and therefore can't do that sort of stuff.  I've had no luck with
getting the SNMP stats working on the Cisco 675, but that would be another
reason to do it.

The only benefit with bridged mode that I see is that because your router
doesn't have an IP associated with it, it's fairly hard for somone to
compromise it.

Sean
--
 This must be where pies go when they die...
                 -- Special Agent Cooper, _Twin_Peaks_