[lug] Connecting to USWest

Aaron Root atree at dragonrealm.net
Mon Sep 4 13:01:19 MDT 2000

I have been working on this most of the weekend, made the changes in
pap-secrets and still no dice.  This is really strange because it just
quit working one day, I haven't changed a thing on my machine.  Does
anyone that connects to uswest.net through dialup have a sample of their
chatscripts and associated files they would be willing to share (passwds
omitted of course) so that I can compare one that works with mine?  I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Aaron

Chip Atkinson wrote:

> It may be that your pap-secrets isn't set up.  In /etc/ppp/pap-secrets,
> you need your username, server, and password like so:
>
> atree uswestsomething yourpassword
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Chip
>
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Aaron Root wrote:
>
> > I've been connecting to USWest with Linux for months without problem,
> > but now it fails after connecting for not even a second.  A part of my
> > ppp.log file says:
> >
> > Connect: ppp0 <-->/dev/ttys0
> > Remote message: Password:
> > PAP authentication failed
> > LCP terminated by peer
> >
> > I've dialed in with hyperterminal and verified that my chatscript is
> > still expecting the correct text, but I must be missing something...
> >
> > Is anyone else using USWest(Qwest) that has had the same problem?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > --
> > Aaron T. Root, CCNA
> > http://www.dragonrealm.net