[lug] Sound Alerts

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Sep 4 16:52:39 MDT 2000

Subba Rao wrote:

> One of our key systems has been configured to create a sound for an alert
> on the system. We have setup several alerts on this system. The sound driver
> used on this system is from OSS. Now, what happens when multiple alerts are
> set off at the same time? Do the alerts get queued to the driver?
>
> When I tested with 2 simulataneous alerts, I got the following message on
> the console,
>
> sox: Unable to set audio speed to 8000 (set to 5512)
>
> Now, when I tried to set off 3 alerts at the sametime, I get the following
> message,
>
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
>
> Has anyone tried to setup this type of alert system? If you succeeded, please
> let me know how you did it. I do wish to be notified for each alert on this
> system. I would like our busy sys admins, know what is happening on this system
> while they are working on neighbouring systems.
>
> Thank you in advance for any ideas.
>
> --
> Subba Rao
> subb3 at attglobal.net
> http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/
>
>  => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
> http://www.smcinnovations.com

You might find an answer using yiff, but I haven't played with it much,
so I can't give specifics...it's something to try. Look for yiff on the
right hand column at:
http://wolfpack.twu.net/

Any specific info you need on using it you can get answered by Taura,
from the contacts page there.

I did see someone earlier mentioning that some sound card drivers allow
multiple opening of /dev/dsp, among which I know the emu10k1 for sblive!
can do this. However, I think it is also limited to all sound sources
opening using the same sample rate. You should check that all of your
sounds are being run at the same sample rate, if not, maybe your system
can already play simultaneous sounds (just not simultaneous rates).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com