[lug] e2fsck emergency: fixed (sort of)

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Tue Sep 5 08:19:16 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 02:58:12AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> eventually able (with some complaints via fdisk) to mount the bad drive,
> and from the error messages I'd seen before, manually delete some of the
> directories involved (they were lost of course). Following this I was
> able to get fdisk to run on its own again. Afterwords, it seems that X
> is behaving flakey, and has since locked up. Linuxconf initially gave
> some odd messages as well. The lost directories have much of the info
> backed up on a separate web server, so that won't be such a big deal.

Ouch, it sounds like you might have already reformatted the drive, which is a
shame.  As the next poster said, you can recover from a bad superblock fairly
easily using the -b command line option.

> In any case, if anyone has any interesting C++ jobs on linux, I might be
> interested. Regular employment, or contract if it is large enough to
> last a while. My prior work mostly involves C++ web frontends for SQL (I
> still do some consulting for my last employer). I'm interested in
> something interesting...if it is on linux, I probably will find it far
> better than the same thing on NT.

I'll be calling later today. No promises (none whatsoever), so if you get
something, take it. However, my employer (a consulting firm) may have
something. I'll give them a call and find out. In the meantime, would you
email me a copy of your resume (ideally, in html or pdf format)?

-----
Michael J. Pedersen
Get GnuPG at http://www.gnupg.org
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
My GnuPG Public Key Available At: http://www.keyserver.net