[lug] Debian apt won't fetch ssh

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Tue Sep 5 10:57:36 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:45:48AM -0600, Glenn Murray wrote:
> I'm trying to install the latest stable ssh (which I believe is OpenSSH)
> deb package on 2.1.  I have tried the following in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US main binary-i386
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US main/binary-i386
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable main binary-i386
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/stable/non-US main binary-i386
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main/binary-i386/Packages

Two things here:
1) Have you been doing regular 'apt-get dist-upgrade' recently? If not, you
may have many packages which need to be installed. Don't worry, the only bad
part is the download time. After that, your entire system will be upgraded to
Debian 2.2 (just out within the past two weeks or so).

2) There's a mild trick to getting the non-US directories to work right, and
it took me some doing to figure it out.  Here's my sources.list for you to
enjoy. If you use it as is, you can also 'apt-get install task-helix-gnome',
and get the newest gnome desktop from Helix Code. If you don't want that,
simply delete the lines which refer to helixcode.

-----<cut here>-----
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

# Source Function
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
-----<cut here>-----

If you have other questions, please do ask. I'm a big fan of Debian :)
-----
Michael J. Pedersen
Get GnuPG at http://www.gnupg.org
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
My GnuPG Public Key Available At: http://www.keyserver.net