[lug] Connecting to USWest

arnie sherman asherman1 at uswest.net
Tue Sep 5 20:49:10 MDT 2000

Hi Aaron,
This is what I use to connect to uswest.net, pretty straightforward... I dial
up w/ kppp in Caldera open Linux 2.2. If there are any more scripts you need
to know about, let me know. BTW, it often takes 2 or 3 tries to establish a
connection, haven't figured out why yet.
Arnie

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
"asherman1"     *       "password"

/etc/resolv.conf:
search
nameserver 206.196.128.3
nameserver 204.147.80.5

nameserver 206.196.128.1        #kppp temp entry

Also, in kppp setup I have PAP for authentication, Dynamic IP, DNS -
206.196.128.1, Default Gateway, nothing in the login address field. On the
device tab I have Flow control set to CRTSCTS, Connect Speed 115200., modem
timeout 60 secs.