[lug] sound recording roadblocks and solutions

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 5 21:28:13 MDT 2000

Neal McBurnett wrote:

> I'm amazed at how hard it has been to find a way to record audio
> in linux.  So I started writing a question to the lug.  As
> so often happens, the process of writing good questions resulted
> in figuring out most of the answers I was looking for.
>
> I'm currently running redhat 6.1.  [Yeah, I'll upgrade to 6.2
> when I free up some disk space - sigh]
>
> The sound howto says to just cat /dev/audio to a file.  This
> results in files that are very small, and which can be played back by
> catting back to /dev/audio, but which other recommended tools (see
> below) can't seem to handle at all.  I can't figure out what
> the sampling rate or bits/sample are, they seem to be even less that
> 8000 Hz, 8 bits/sample.

8 bits/sample is resolution. 8 bits will give good quality, but maybe
not what you want if you are working with good music.

8000 Hz is the sample rate...how often those 8 bits are sampled.
Generally, I think both the bits/sample and sample rate must be matched
if you are mixing sounds.

> The sound howto (March 1999) also suggests a tool called "vrec" which
> is not part of my redhat 6.1 system.  No package of that name is
> visible anywhere and we searches with google haven't led me to any
> code (just some old man pages), so I'm guessing it is in some other
> package or is obsolete.

Found this link, and snippet:
http://botes2.tesre.bo.cnr.it/Services/Local/RedHat-FAQ/DOCS/sound2.html
For editing/recording sound
  vrec       -- link to vplay

Apparently vrec is just a symbolic link to vplay.

This leads to:
http://www.btv-jena.de/softlist.en/vrec.html

Which leads to:
vplay and vrec are available  via  anonymous  ftp  in  the
      PCSP-Sounddriver  package from ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de

The directory they gave is out of date, the final URL for the package
is:
ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pub/Linux/hu-sound/

Let me know if it is any good...I might be interested in it later.

> Downloading krecord sends me on another unsuccessful search for
> libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3.

This comes with C++. Do you have g++ (try "which g++")? Probably the lib
is in:
/usr/lib/
possibly with a minor variation of name. My RH 6.2 is
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2.