[lug] ASP on Apache/Linux

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu Sep 7 06:46:05 MDT 2000

>>>>> "John" == John Starkey <jstarkey at ajstarkey.com> writes:

John> I will be transferring a site to my server hopefully next week
John> which has a lot of ASP and a lot of hits (the 10k/month that I
John> referred to a few posts ago).

note that 10k/month isn't enough to even bother thinking about.
assuming that you have 8 peak hours a day, that gives you about 160
hours/month to to service 10k requests.  multiplying that by 3600
seconds/hour says that you have some 579k sec/month for those
requests, which works out to about one a minute.

you can get away with using plain old CGI for that.  i can appreciate
the desire to engineer for efficiency and scaling, but until you go up
another two orders of magnitude, you don't have to worry about that
here.  also, network bandwidth will often become a limiting factor
before CPU power will.

my home machine got some 9k hits last month, of which about 10% were
CGI-based.  i didn't even notice the load, and that's on "antiquated"
hardware (AMD K6-3 450MHz, VIA MVP-3 chipset, 100MHz FSB, 384MB RAM,
SCSI).

t.