[lug] Meaning of this message?

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Fri Sep 8 10:52:20 MDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 09:52:28AM -0600, MauroMedia wrote:
> Does anybody know what this means? My log is filled with
> it.
>
> named[2626]: Lame server on \'iaq.net\' (in \'iaq.net\'?):
> [216.167.48.104].53 \'NS1.IPSOS.NET\'

Short version of it (and the long version gets tedious, so hopefully you won't
want or need it :)

People who set up DNS don't always do so correctly. In this case, iaq.net has
their whois information pointing to them as the primary DNS server for
iaq.net. However, their own DNS server thinks it is a slave or secondary
server. Therefore, there are NO authoritative DNS records for iaq.net (nobody
is the real goto machine for it), everybody who knows about it is a secondary,
and the entire domain is lame. If memory serves, lame domains used to actively
be dropped from the net.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net