[lug] .doc to .txt on Linux

Bruce Raup braup at kryos.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 8 13:22:24 MDT 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, PC Drew wrote:

> And one called 'catdoc'
>
> http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus/catdoc/
>
> --
> PC Drew

I just tried this one out, and FWIW, antiword seems to be much better, as
it preserves much of the formatting -- centering, indentation, etc.  The
man page for catdoc even says that it doesn't attempt to extract
formatting information.  When antiword outputs PS, it even appears to
preserve font sizes, boldface, etc (although I haven't seen the documents
in their original form).

No comment on mswordview -- for some reason it wouldn't build on my SGI,
and I don't have time to mess with it now.

Bruce