[lug] Syslog Server

Rob Riggs rriggs at doubleclick.net
Mon Sep 11 09:40:01 MDT 2000

I would be very interested in hearing how this went for you
once you get this implemented. I have considered doing this
at various times as my server cluster grows.

I have my home linux server acting as a syslog server for
my router. I have not experienced any issues with this
setup, but then the ISDN router does not generate much in
the way of log traffic.

My only recommendation would be to make /var/log a seperate
mount point on the syslog server. This will make adding
additional space a bit easier, should it be needed.

The amount of disk space needed really depends on the size
of the logs, the rotation schedule, and how long you keep
them around. I have production servers that expire their
logs on a daily basis due to size constraints.

I am not sure what you mean by "+ SNMP info". Will you be
using MRTG to graph the network usage, or are you doing
more detailed monitoring?

--
Rob Riggs
Unix System Administrator