[lug] NE2000 Bootup Problems

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Sep 11 11:48:30 MDT 2000

I rebuilt my firewall over the weekend and in the process seem to have lost the ability to recognize both my NE2000 ISA Ethernet cards on bootup. I'm running RH6.0 now, tried 6.1 (same problem) and 5.2 (no problem but can't use ipchains).

The behavior is that, on boot the system will recognize eth0 but not eth1. If I do the following in rc.local all works fine

rmmod ne2000
insmod ne2000 io=0x2a0,0x300
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

But this feels like a kludge. I have also been alerted to possible autoprobe problems with this card and to problems with not loading the 8390 driver so I've checked to be sure 8390 is loaded and have tried to reserve in lilo.conf. Here is lilo.conf (re-ran lilo after change)

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-22
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-22.img
        read-only
        append="reserve=0x2a0,32 ether=0,0x2a0,eth0 reserve=0x300,32 ether=0,0x300,eth1"

I don't know enough about modules to know whether conf.modules is wrong:

alias scsi_hostadapter pas16
alias eth0 8390
alias eth1 8390
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options eth0 io=0x2a0 irq=10
options eth1 io=0x300 irq=12

These options *should* be right, at least that's what autoprobe gets when I do the rc.local insmod.

Any suggestions?

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.