[lug] PHP and Emacs book recommendations?

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Sep 11 12:32:30 MDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 02:26:06PM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I have to learn PHP.  Rasmus' book isn't due out till December, apparently.
> Anyone have any recommendations for which PHP book to get?  Doesn't
> O'Reilly already have a PHP book?

There are a lot of books on PHP out now, but I haven't looked at any
of them.

Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 (
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735709971/o/qid=968697006/sr=2-2/104-3998038-0966302

PHP Essentials
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076152729X/o/qid=968697006/sr=2-3/104-3998038-0966302

Professional PHP Programming
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861002963/o/qid=968697006/sr=2-1/104-3998038-0966302

all got good reviews on Amazon.

> Similarly, any suggestions on a decent Emacs text?  O'Reilly has one, but
> it looks fairly in depth.  I don't really want to learn it completely.  I
> just have to use it for one particular thing (and will probably run it in
> vi mode).

_Learning GNU Emacs_ from O'Reilly is very good, though it doesn't
discuss Viper. For the Viper specific questions, you'll have to read
the Viper man page.

--
http://www.tummy.com/ Consulting and Software for Linux and Unix
KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution - the Freshest Red Hat every month