[lug] Front page with Linux server

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Sep 11 18:34:41 MDT 2000

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> My brother is considering using my server for his own domain.  My server is a
> Linux box, but he's a Windows dude.  He wants to learn Front Page to
> generate his pages.  However, I have no idea what Front Page produces as
> output files.  Are the files generated by Front Page just HTML?  Any binary
> CGI stuff (which would be incompatible)?  Doe it expect an ASP capable
> server (which mine won't be even if Apache can do it).  Just what does Front
> Page generate?  Once I know that I can tell if he'll be able to use my server
> or not.
> --

I can't answer much of this, but I have had to use it in the past.
Basically it is a remote editor, WYSIWYG style, with tabs to switch
between WYSIWYG and text. That part is actually nice. It can't edit asp
or cgi, it wants pure html or script pages that are allowed edit. In the
past, my old company had all kinds of trouble after rearranging its NT
servers, due to changes in authentication. My bet is that it wants some
sort of NT domain auth stuff, but is otherwise a normal editor. I know
of some linux and sun machines that use those extensions, so it can be
done, possibly through samba.

What I distinctly hate about Front Page is that it demands to format the
page in its own way. If you have embedded scripts within comments, it
will muck them up, since it thinks it knows what it is doing, but
doesn't. In some cases it does this recursively, such as trying to embed
things that you don't want embedded. Amaya has some interesting (and
useful) parallels to Front Page, but isn't as advanced (considering the
Front Page wizard, this is often and advantage).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com