[lug] Front page with Linux server

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 11 18:45:33 MDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 07:46:58PM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>My brother is considering using my server for his own domain.  My server is a
>Linux box, but he's a Windows dude.  He wants to learn Front Page to
>generate his pages.  However, I have no idea what Front Page produces as

As I understand it (though I try NOT to understand it), FrontPage has two
modes.  In one, it's just an HTML editer and you can upload the images
via FTP (or possibly WebDAV in later versions).  In the other it will
install "dynamic content" including counters and the like.  These will
require the Frontpage Server Extensions, which is essentially a big,
honking CGI that does these things.

We've done some FrontPage installs in the past, and have found them to be
a real bear to learn.  It usually takes us close to a half day to do them
IIRC.  Some tips:

   Make *SURE* you have a copy of FrontPage to test with when doing the
   install.  There's no way to ensure you have the install done right without
   it.

   When the server tools ask for the password, it needs to be the *SYSTEM*
   password of the user who ownes the web you're setting up (unless they've
   fixed this IMHO huge security problem).

   FrontPage is (last we could figure out) incompatible with the PHP
   extensions.  This may have changed, but we had to end up setting up
   a separate machine for the frontpage webs at one client, because
   the main server had PHP.  So, the users screaming for FrontPage were
   put on a 486 box...

Sean
--
 "I'll thrash you like a Netscape process on a machine with 640K."
                 -- John Shipman, 1998