[lug] Ipchains, Port Forwarding, and DNS

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Tue Sep 12 10:08:08 MDT 2000

Michael,

Thanks for your note and your offer of help. Off the topic a bit, let me
ask: how do I read these .ems files that are in your posts? I'm reading
mail using Eudora on Windoze. It complains about an unreadable attachment.
I can suck the attachment into Notepad and paste it into my reply, but then
I lose quoting. I don't know if there are others out there that this
happens to, but your posts and those of a couple others, while undoubtedly
worthwhile, rarely get read by me because of this. Is there a plug-in?

I went out this morning and bought 2 books which I think will help. One is
DNS and BIND 3d, and the other is Building Linux Firewalls. I *think* the
problem is with DNS and not with the forwarding but I plan to get into
these books and see what I can learn. I don't know if I can make BJUG this
month -- it's been a bad week that way.

As far as line-wrapping, let's chalk it up to personal preference. I prefer
that others would send me mail which is unwrapped so that the combination
of your wrapping and whatever quoting happens doesn't generate a rat's tail
of text. I've appended what my mailer sees as your text, for comparison.
Most mail readers that I know (I'm thinking of Netscape and Eudora but I
suspect this is true of KMail also) have an option to wrap incoming long
lines. I find this more pleasing. I'll try to remember to turn on wrapping
(as I have now) when I send to this group, however.

I'll be in touch with updates.

-Mike

At 09:11 AM 9/12/00 -0600, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 08:12:29AM -0600, Michael Deck wrote:
 > This is probably a dumb newbie mistake.

No such thing. news.newusers.questions mistakes, yes. Not dumb ones. After
all, when you're a newbie, how can you know what to do and what not to do?

 > If you have a suspicion where the problem lies, I can post the relevant c=
onfig files.

It sounds like one of two things could be the issue (that's right off the t=
op
of my head, with zero information to really go on):

1) Something is wrong in your configuration of the software. This could be
port forwarding, ipchains, or something else entirely.

2) Something is wrong with your configuration of the hardware. Don't laugh,
it's a very real possibility to do when configuring a network, and it's eas=
ier
than many people would think.

I'm going to ask for three things from you to try and fix this:

a) All software configuration files that are relevant. This includes your
ipchains data, and how you're setting up port forwarding, and what script
you're using to get everything started, stopped, etc.

b) A network map, done in text. Doesn't have to be very complex, but I do n=
eed
to see the layout to make sure it's not a networking issue. Basically, the =
map
should show relevant machines, what their ip addresses are, that sort of
thing. It does NOT have to show all machines on your network (unless you on=
ly
have the two or three).

c) This is not intended in a mean fashion, so please don't take it that way.
Could you fix your mailer? It's putting whole paragraphs on one long line,
which makes it hard to read your message, and harder to reply to it.

As a final note, you may feel uncomfortable in sending out all this
information over the net (and well you should). If you like, I intend to be=
  at
the blug meeting on Thursday, in part to do some key signs and get mine
signed (for gnupg). You can meet me there with the information if you like,=
  or
you can download my public key (information below) and send the information=
me encrypted. If you use pgp, please use only 6.5.8 or later (due to a
security flaw in every version since 5.0). Of course, then you have the
security risk of that key not belonging to me, so... Securest bet is to meet
me Thursday at the meeting.

--=20
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net
My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw--