[lug] Backing up on a Sun tape drive

Scott T. Kelley kelleys at ucsu.colorado.edu
Wed Sep 13 17:48:35 MDT 2000

Dear BLUGers,

A couple of tough (at least to me) questions about backing up and restoring for those who might be able to help:

1) I need to make backups from my linux box to a tape drive attached to a Sun machine running Solaris. Is there a simple way to dump files across the network without first transferring them to the Sun? It doesn't have enough hard drive space to take much at all. I also would like to do this with an SGI to that same tape drive (once I get it running again). I tried mounting the linux file system onto the Sun but I had problems the /etc/vfstab and probably didn't configure it correctly. Is that even the way to go with this?

2) Our SGI recently got wiped (and I mean *wiped*) kernal and all by a network intruder. However, there was a (hopefully) complete backup made some time ago by a former lab mates on the same tape drive mentioned above. In this case I would like to restore the whole thing again across the network if possible but I am not sure where to begin with this task.

Thanks for any and all help you might be able to give me. -Scott