[lug] Backing up on a Sun tape drive

Andrew Diederich andrew at netdelivery.com
Wed Sep 13 17:23:06 MDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 06:49:00PM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Thus spoke Scott T. Kelley
> > 1) I need to make backups from my linux box to a tape drive attached to =
> > a Sun machine running Solaris. Is there a simple way to dump files =
> > across the network without first transferring them to the Sun? It =
>
> NFS mounts may work, depending on the amount of data and time it takes to
> do the backups.
>
> > doesn't have enough hard drive space to take much at all. I also would =
> > like to do this with an SGI to that same tape drive (once I get it =
> > running again). I tried mounting the linux file system onto the Sun but =
> > I had problems the /etc/vfstab and probably didn't configure it =
> > correctly. Is that even the way to go with this?

You share nfs stuff from /etc/dfs/dfstab, you mount stuff in
/etc/vfstab.  (Or do both from the command line, but doesn't survive
a reboot.)  If you hadn't shared anything before, run "/etc/init.d/nfs.server
start" (there's a space there), then shareall.  That's for solaris 8,
dunno about older versions.

<everything else snipped>

--
Andrew Diederich