[lug] Laptops again

David Outteridge doutteridge at onerealm.com
Thu Sep 14 09:42:05 MDT 2000

I know that this topic has been raised before, so I hope that it is not
tedious for people; you will just have to delete messages on this topic if
it is for you 8-)

I think that I am going to have to buy a laptop because I am going to be
travelling.  And I really should like to get it right first time, I do not
have the time to play with it too much.  Within reason, the cost is not an
issue; if I am going to spend thousands, then a few hundred extra is not
going to hurt that much more =8-o.  I am looking for advice on what to buy.
I do not recall ever having opened the lid on a laptop, let alone typing
into one.

I have looked at some stuff on the web and I am a little concerned because
people seem to have to play around to install Linux.  In particular X sems
to give trouble.  Also, I thought that IBM and Dell have embraced Linux to
some degree; that is not obvious from their sites.

Here is what I need, and a couple of things that I do not need; there may be
things that I need but do not realise it.  Any well-driected advice will be
most welcome.

* This machine will be used to run fvwm, emacs, ppp, and gcc; not much else.
* medium speed processor is ok, fast is ok too
* lots of memory, 128mB minimum
* disc that I can partition, I may need to put MS ? on it
* any version of Linux, I use Redhat on my desktop, so that is preferred
   slightly
* lots and lots of pixels and a first class display,
   high resolution text is important
* easy modem connectivity
* external keyboard plug-in

I do not care about:
* sound
* games

* Does anyone have experience of buying a machine with Linux already
   installed?
* If I need to partition and re-install, how do I get data from a CD-ROM?
CD
   drives appear to be accessories, is that right?
* Does anyone have experience with removeable drives, are they any good?

* What are the main gotchas, if any?

Thanks in advance.

dajo