[lug] Laptops again Suse on Thinkpad

Gordon J. Holtslander holtslander at sask.usask.ca
Thu Sep 14 10:35:00 MDT 2000

Hi:

I recently installed Suse 6.4 on an IBM thinkpad 240.  This laptop was
bought prior to IBM offering linux on these laptops.  One of our faculty
members bought it who regulary uses an SGI workstation and was getting
very frustrated using windows.  Since he was familiar with SGI he wanted
to try linux.

The laptop came with a 6GB hard-drive partitioned into 2 and 4 GB.
Windows 98 was installed on the 2 GB partition. I installed linux on the
4GB partition.

This model did not have a CD.  A parellel port (Backpack) was purchased
and a Kingston PCMCIA ethernet card. (I didn't recommend the CD purchase
- a USB CD would have been a much better choice)

I wanted to do an install from a Suse 6.4 evaluation CD I had burned.
This is the system I use on my computer. I was not able to get the
backpack CD to work from Suse's boot disk - I needed to find the
appropriate parameters to feed to the backpack module, but could not
find them (but I didn't spend much time looking).

Suse offers an NFS install option. I decided to try an NFS install.  I
installed the NFS software on my desktop computer and set up the CD to
be served via NFS.  I hooked up the laptop to the ethernet card.  It
recognized it (the card had been registered and given an IP number)

I needed to enter all the IP info for the card and my desktop computer
running NFS. Once done the laptop mounted the CD via NFS on my desktop
machine and proceeded to install.

Of note - to do an FTP install of Suse, it requires at least 96 MB of
ram! The laptop only had 64.  An NFS install does not need this much.

I had Suse use its newer Yast2 graphical install program. I chose a
default networked work station package.  It then spent an hour or so
copying and installing software (Suse uses rpm).

Yast2 then detected all of the devices (including the stubby mouse stick
in the middle of the keyboard) and set up X.  I only needed to give it
the horizontal and vertical refresh rates (I had to look these up on a
linux laptop site).

Overall it was one of the easist linux installations I have done to date
(I haven't done that many).  It was much easier than any of the
reinstallations of windows on laptops that I have done.

My only suggestions is that you should be sure your installation media
is supported. If installing from a CD have a builtin CD or a USB CD.  If
installing from a network, get a card known to work with linux.  If
planning an FTP install make sure the laptop had enough RAM.

Be sure that your distribution will do an installation on a laptop well

Gord