[lug] Laptops again

PC Drew drewpc at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 14 11:12:56 MDT 2000

** DISCLAIMER **
These are my opinions, I don't have any interest in starting a
flame war.
** DISCLAIMER **

This has been my experience:

HP Omnibook 4500 (I think??):
  * Great laptop!
  * Nice keyboard
  * Great screen
  * Can get lots 'o memory with it
  * Kinda sorta heavy, but not excessive
  * You can turn things on and off in the bios (i.e. sleep mode, etc)
  * Unfortunately it's fairly expensive (~$3,000)
  * It's the best laptop I've ever used.

Dell Inspiron (I don't remember what model):
  * This is my current laptop, and I hate it.
  * The only way to shut off suspend/sleep mode is through
     a windows utility.  I had to break off the little sensor
     that senses when the laptop lid is shut so that it wouldn't
     automatically shutdown.
  * ctrl-shift-alt-delete shutsdown the laptop.  YOU CAN'T TURN THIS OFF!!
     This sucks when trying to run VMWare in a full screen.  With the
     HP, you can turn this off in the BIOS.
  * Everyone may disagree with this, but I wouldn't recommend getting
     a Dell.

Other Notes:
  * The Xircom RealPort ethernet/modem cards work REALLY well with
     Linux.  While they're fairly expensive, I'd definitely recommend
     this card over any other.
  * If I had my way, I'd either get a Sony VAIO or a Mac PowerBook (running
     Yellow Dog Linux).
  * Have fun!  Don't buy a compaq!

** DISCLAIMER **
Again, these are my opinions, I don't have any interest in starting a
flame war.
** DISCLAIMER **

--
PC Drew

"To understand recursion, we must first understand recursion."