[lug] Laptops again

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 14 11:13:11 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 11:58:04AM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>Not necessarily.  The Lucent WinModems supplied in IBM ThinkPads has a
>binary driver downloadable from the net.  I found it via the Linux Laptops
>page for my Thinkpad 1410, but I'm sure there are links to it from other

Unfortunately, it's a binary-only driver (even though apparently it
includes some GPLed code).  Even though it's been updated in the last
8 months a couple of times, it appears that it's still built against
the 2.2.12-20 kernel.  While you can force it to load in a newer 2.2
kernel, I've found that doing so causes me to not be able to use
my PCMCIA cards.  If you want to go to a 2.4 kernel, you're hosed...

>Very true.  You can't fiddle with laptop components, swapping out the video
>card or hard drives if they don't work, as easily as a desktop.  So try and

I don't know about that.  My TP240 is actually EASIER to replace the hard
drive in than most desktop boxes.  :-)

Sean
--
 Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no
 matter where you go, there you are.  -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_