[lug] Laptops again

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 14 12:35:24 MDT 2000

Thus spoke Sean Reifschneider
> Unfortunately, it's a binary-only driver (even though apparently it
> includes some GPLed code).  Even though it's been updated in the last

Heaven forbid.  RMS must be in a tantrum.

> 8 months a couple of times, it appears that it's still built against
> the 2.2.12-20 kernel.  While you can force it to load in a newer 2.2
> kernel, I've found that doing so causes me to not be able to use
> my PCMCIA cards.  If you want to go to a 2.4 kernel, you're hosed...

That I didn't know.  I haven't tried upgrading to 2.4, but don't expect to
for some time anyway (since it's not shipped with any distributions right
now, and I don't usually upgrade to the new kernels till 6 months or so
after that happens).  Hopefully by then there will be a driver for it from
IBM.

Moot, of course, if I ever actually get the dough to get one of those
petite Vaio's.   Mmmmmm.

> I don't know about that.  My TP240 is actually EASIER to replace the hard
> drive in than most desktop boxes.  :-)

There's one in every crowd.  :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel           |  Politicians are the same all over: they promise
The Graphics Muse           |  to build a bridge even where there is no river.